This is one of those recipes where I look at the photo and just start salivating! These Chutney-Chicken Salad Sandwiches are simply craveable. I first made this dish a few weeks back for my Grandma’s birthday lunch. It was perfect for the occasion because I could prepare the chicken salad the night before and then simply assemble the sandwich right before serving. I loved it on a mini croissant, but you could also serve it in a pita, on a tortilla or just by itself!
CHUTNEY-CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICHES
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup mango chutney (snip any large pieces)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise dressing or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups shredded or chopped deli-roasted chicken or turkey breast
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 4 pita bread, halved/ or crossants, split; or 7- to 8-inch tortillas
- Lettuce leaves
1. In a shallow baking pan, spread almonds in single layer. Bake in a 350 degree F oven 5 to 10 minutes or until the nuts are light golden brown, stirring once or twice. Cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine chutney, mayonnaise dressing or yogurt, and curry powder. Add chicken, grapes, and toasted nuts; toss gently to coat. Line pita bread halves, croissants, or tortillas with lettuce leaves. Spoon chicken mixture into pita halves or spead on croissants or tortillas. Roll up tortillas, if using. Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Next time you grill or broil chicken, cook a few extra pieces so you’ll have leftovers for sandwiches. You’ll need about 10 ounces cooked chicken.
Dietary Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat.
- Calories 431,
- Total Fat (g) 10,
- Saturated Fat (g) 2,
- Cholesterol (mg) 62,
- Sodium (mg) 437,
- Carbohydrate (g) 55,
- Fiber (g) 4,
- Protein (g) 30,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet