I have some AWESOME news Better Recipes…this year I will be covering the Academy Awards! That’s right, all the glitz, glamor, and, of course, the food! From Wolfgang Puck’s legendary Governor’s Ball menu, to what the stars eat to fit into their Oscar fashion, I will be there to bring it all to you!
I told a few of my friends and the first thing everybody asks is, “What are you going to wear?!” The short answer is…”Eeek, I have no idea!” (Isn’t that wild, even the press has to wear tuxes and ball gowns!) The one thing I do know is, the Oscars are t-minus 38 days away so I have a little time to prepare.
I call this recipe “Red Carpet Ready” Cake because it is a low-fat, low-calorie way to literally have your cake and eat it too! Half of Hollywood is cutting their calories and upping their cardio in anticipation of the big event. This dessert is a guilt-free way to enjoy a sweet treat while still keeping your figure in check.
It is as easy as 3, 2, 1, YUM! Here is how you prepare these individual sized cakes:
Start with a box of angel food cake mix and a box of regular cake mix. I decided to use a Strawberry cake mix for this “Red Carpet” Cake. You can use your favorite flavor!
Combine the two cake mixes in a ziplock bag. You will only use 3 tablespoons at a time to make individual cakes.
Combine 3 tablespoons of the mix with 2 tablespoons of water in a small, microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave for 1 minute and enjoy! I garnished mine with a small dollop of fat-free cool whip and some fresh strawberries. If you follow the new Weight Watchers program, this is only 3 Points Plus!
It’s that easy! All you have to remember is 3, 2, 1…
3 tablespoons mix
2 tablespoons water
1 minute in the microwave
(Now if only fitting into a slinky dress was as easy as 3, 2, 1!)
Better Recipes, Fast and Fabulous, On A Budget, Sweet Tooth | Tags:
Angel Food Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Easy Recipes, Healthy Dessert Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Low-Fat Desserts, Low-Fat Recipes
18 Comments | POST YOUR COMMENT
Get out those tiki torches and put on a lei, because it is time for a Hawaiian luau! You will love this recipe because it is quick and easy with only 5 ingredients. Your guests will love that it is also low in fat, so everyone can indulge and still keep their bikini bod!
1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple in its own juices, undrained
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until blended.
3. Spoon batter into an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
4. Sprinkle the top of cake with powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into 20 squares.
Nutrition information per serving: 113 cal.; 1 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 0 mg chol.; 174 mg sod.; 25 g carbo.; 0 g fiber; 2 g protein
Around the World, Better Recipes, Celebrations and Parties, Fresh and Healthy, Sweet Tooth | Tags:
Angel Food Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Easy Recipes, Fruit Dessert Recipes, Healthy Dessert Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Low-Fat Desserts, Low-Fat Recipes
16 Comments | POST YOUR COMMENT
Today is my Dad’s birthday! Happy Birthday Daddy! Every year my Dad’s choice for birthday cake is always Angel Food, and this recipe takes Angel Food cake to a whole new level! I have created a lighter version of Tiramisu that is also quick and easy through the creative use of a few convenience items. Tiramisu means “pick me up” in Italian and I think this dessert will do just that for my Dad on his special day!
1 store bought angel food cake, about 8 to 10 inches
3/4 cup strong black coffee, room temperature
1/4 cup coffee liqueur
8 ounce package reduced-fat block-style cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
3 Tablespoons coffee liqueur
1 Tablespoon instant espresso or coffee powder
1 container (8 ounces) frozen lite whipped topping, thawed
1/4 cup fat-free or sugar free fudge ice cream topping
1 Tablespoon coffee liqueur
1. Using a serrated knife, cut angel food cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter; set other layers aside on a flat work surface.
2. In a small bowl, combine the coffee and 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur. With a long-tined fork or skewers, poke holes all over on all three layers. Drizzle mixture evenly over the tops of all three layers to soak mixture into holes.
3. For filling: In bowl of electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar, and the 3 Tablespoons of coffee liqueur until blended and smooth. Spread the top of the cake layer that is on the serving platter with half of the filling mixture. Place a second cake layer on top of first layer and spread the top with remaining filling. Place the third cake layer on top of second cake layer.
4. For frosting: In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar with the tablespoon of instant espresso. Fold mixture into the thawed whipped topping just until blended. Frost the entire cake with the whipped topping mixture. Chill cake for at least 2 hours.
5. To serve: Before serving, stir together the fudge ice cream topping and 1 Tablespoon of coffee liqueur. Drizzle over chilled cake. Using a serrated knife, cut cake, making 16 servings.
Around the World, Better Recipes, Celebrations and Parties, Fast and Fabulous, Fresh and Healthy, Sweet Tooth | Tags:
Angel Food Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Easy Recipes, Healthy Dessert Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Italian Dessert Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low-Fat Cakes, Low-Fat Desserts, Low-Fat Recipes, No-Bake Desserts
2 Comments | POST YOUR COMMENT