Italian Breakfast Crostada
Can you believe this is the final weekly winner from our 2012 contests? It has been such a great year filled with amazing recipes and 2013 is going to be even bigger and better! Our final weekly category was “Breakfast and Brunch” and the winning recipe is this delectable “Italian Breakfast Crostada” from PamelaS.!
Imagine everything you love for breakfast: ham, eggs, vegetables, and cheese…all in an elegant crostada. It looks fancy and impressive, but is a snap to make!
Keep reading for the winning recipe!
I love the ease of this recipe because it uses a refrigerated pie crust. The pleats of the crostada are easy to fold and it creates such a beautiful presentation. This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover ham after a big family meal. You can make this Italian Crostada for breakfast, but it’s also great for an easy lunch or dinner. Serve with a mixed green salad and you are all set!
Italian Breakfast Crostada (click here to print recipe)
1 (9″) Refrigerated Pie Crust
No Stick Cooking Spray
I Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Red Onions, diced
1/4 cup Roasted Red Peppers, diced (oil packed and drained
1/2 cup Ham, cut in 1/2″ cubes
5 Large Eggs
1/4 cup Half & Half
2 Tbsp Chive & Onion Cream Cheese
2/3 cup Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 cup Shredded Italian Blend Cheese
2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set pie crust out of refrigerator. Spray a large cookie sheet with no stick cooking spray.
2. Spray a 10-inch non stick skillet with no stick cooking spray. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, and ham; sautee for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, and cream cheese. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the spinach for topping and stir the remaining spinach, salt and pepper into the eggs. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and allow to cook, over medium heat, just until eggs begin to set. Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool about 8-10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, unroll the pie crust and place in center of baking sheet. Spoon mixture into the center of the crust; spread evenly to within 1 1/2 inch of the edges. Sprinkle italian cheese over the filling. Fold edge of crust over the filling forming pleats, press down slightly.
5. Bake about 25-30 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with reserved spinach and the tomatoes.
One Response to “Italian Breakfast Crostada”