Butternut Squash Lentil Casserole | The Daily Dish

Butternut Squash Lentil Casserole

14 Comments | Written on November 7, 2012 at 5:00 am , by

A traditional turkey might take center stage at Thanksgiving, but what will really make your holiday spread shine is a variety of stellar side dishes.  If you want something hearty, seasonal, and full of flavor give this Butternut Squash Lentil Casserole a try.  It is also a great choice if you happen to have any vegetarian guests at your table this holiday season!

Keep reading for the recipe…

There’s no need to limit yourself to Thanksgiving with this robust casserole.  It also tastes great served along side roast lamb or pork dishes.   I even found the recipe reheated well the next day and made for a great lunch!

Butternut Squash Lentil Casserole

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped

1 cup lentils

4 cups low sodium vegetable stock

3 cups cubed butternut squash (1 inch size)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley

1 teaspoon salt, adjust depending on stock

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 tsp large pinch cumin seed

1/3 cup sliced scallion tops

1.  Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.  When foam subsides, add onion; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add lentils; toss with spoon to combine.   Pour in vegetable stock; heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are barely tender, about 20 minutes.

2.   Add butternut squash, lemon juice, parsley, salt, ginger, pepper, and cumin seed to pan; stir to mix well.  Cover pan; cook until butternut squash is tender, about 15 minutes.

3.  Stir scallion tops into butternut squash-lentil mixture; transfer to covered serving dish.  Serve hot.

14 Responses to “Butternut Squash Lentil Casserole”

DPier says:

How many side dish servings does this make?

Kristina Vanni says:

Hi DPier,

It serves 6…enjoy!

Caryn says:

My daughter is vegan. Can I use veg. Oil instead of butter?

• Annie says:

I’m vegan and don’t use oil unless I absolutely have to in the most minimal amount. I always saute my veg in just a little water.

Kristina Vanni says:

Sure, you could use your favorite cooking oil or even vegan butter. (I have used Earthbalance before)

bsrbara says:

Never cooked w/ butternut squash in my life! But would really like to try this. Do I just peel & cube squash, or do I need to cook it first? How to tell a good squash in the market? thx!

• Kristina Vanni says:

Actually, I like to buy the already peeled and cubed butternut squash in the refrigerated area of the produce section! Makes the job so much easier :) One time they ran out and the produce manager even offered to peel and cube it for me. So nice!

• wombar says:

You will need to peel (and seed)the squash first. A vegetable peeler will work, and I find that it’s easier if you cut the squash in half first.

Francine says:

What is the nutritional value/calories per serving?

• Kristina Vanni says:

Sorry, I don’t have nutritional information. But I believe there are several websites out there where you can input ingredients and they will calculate it for you.

Kate says:

I must have screwed up somewhere in this recipe. I doubled it and I have way too much liquid. It’s not finished yet, but I guess I’ll have to drain it off. Did you have the same issue?

Katie says:

This is DELICIOUS! I’ve never made anything like it, but I’m definitely keeping this recipe to make again. Thanks!

By the way, I used a 15oz can of veg. broth and my squash yielded more than 3 cups, but the proportions seemed just fine. Nearly all of the liquid cooked off/soaked in.

[...] This is hearty, savory dish, fit to be served in a vegan meal. In just a minute, you’ll be done with this healthy dish. Picture and recipe credited to http://www.betterrecipes.com/blogs/daily-dish/2012/11/07/butternut-squash-lentil-casserole/. [...]

Linda says:

This is really easy and delicious. I used ginger from a tube and dried parsely because that’s what I had on hand. I also used quite a bit more squash than the recipe calls for because my squash was pretty big. Don’t worry if you still have lost of liquid in the pot when you add the squash–it all gets absorbed in the last 15 minutes of cooking.I made this as a vegtarian main dish, but it would also be good as a Thanksgiving side. And don’t skip the scallions–they add a nice taste.