Three Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies | The Daily Dish

Three Ingredient Cookies, Three Ways

28 Comments | Written on September 19, 2012 at 5:00 am , by

Anytime I have a craving for something sweet, or need a last minute treat to bring to a party, this is the recipe I turn to.  With only three ingredients (that you probably already have on hand) this recipe couldn’t be easier.

Keep reading to learn how to make “Three Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies” three different ways!

When I first heard about these “three ingredient peanut butter cookies” I was skeptical.  How was it possible?  What about the flour?  Will they taste good?

Needless to say, after the first time I made these magical three-ingredient cookies I was hooked!  Here’s the original recipe.

Three-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Combine peanut butter, sugar and egg.  Refrigerate at least one hour or until firm.  Roll into 1-inch balls and press down with a fork making cross-hatch marks.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.

When I started telling people about these fab cookies, I was immediately flooded with questions.   People wanted to know if they could be made with other “butters” besides peanut.   So I decided to try it with almond butter.  While I was at it, I thought I would give raw sugar a try as well.

The results?    Possibly better than the original!  I loved how the almond butter created a slightly less sweet cookie.  They also had a great texture.  So, the answer is yes – give other “butters” a try as well!  My only suggestion would be to refrigerate the dough before rolling and baking since some of these butters can have a more runny consistency than traditional peanut butter.   Also, remember to stir any butters that separate a bit in the jar before measuring for the recipe.

Almond Butter Cookies

1 cup almond butter

1 cup raw sugar

1 egg

Combine almond butter, raw sugar and egg.  Refrigerate at least one hour or until firm.  Roll into 1-inch balls and press down with a fork making cross-hatch marks.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.

The next question I am often asked is, “Can I use Splenda instead?

Well, let’s try it!

In fact, I took the experiment one step further.  I thought I would give it a try with sugar substitute and egg substitute!

The dough turned out great and the cookies really held their shape well.  The only thing I would recommend is not dipping the fork in Splenda when you go to make the criss cross marks.  The sugar substitute just ended up getting clumpy on top of the cookies.

So there you have it!  Three simple ingredients, three different ways.  All delicious!  Which version will you try?

“Substitute” Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup Splenda

1/4 cup egg substitute

Combine peanut butter, Splenda and egg substitute.  Roll into 1-inch balls and press down with a fork making cross-hatch marks.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.

28 Responses to “Three Ingredient Cookies, Three Ways”

patience says:

I never was a big cookie baker, so when my mom came to my house and i started to make these cookies she laughed at me… Since i didn’t know how to make cookies and how they will not turn out. She was amazed. You can also roll them into balls and roll in sugar. Once they are out of the oven as a Hershey kids or small Reese cup to the top.

Yum! I make peanut butter cookies like that all of the time! Now I need to try using substitutes like you did!

Kimberly LaFrano says:

I’ve made these cookies WITHOUT the egg & they STILL turned out fabulous!!!

Carolyn says:

I have made these before using splenda. My recipe called for 1 t vanilla

Julie N says:

Gluten-free…Yes!

These look so good and so easy I Pinned them. I can’t wait to try all 3 recipes!

Delicious recipes! I pinned them. Thanks for posting.

Hello! These look so yummy & simple! I love simple recipes.

Judy Anthony says:

There are nut alergies in out house so made these using Soy Nut Butter, and Splenda Blend for baking. They were delicious. Thanks for the recipe even though I had to change it.

Deb says:

our family has been making these super easy and super yummy cookies for years. Even our boys make them for treats.

Maxine Corimski says:

I have always made regular peanut butter cookies as my grandma did and SHE ALWAYS dipped the fork in FLOUR before crisscross crossing them. I have never used sugar. Thought you might be interested.

andi says:

I make these but add chocolate chips and a little vanilla….they are the BEST!!!

Nan says:

I love to make lots of different cookies to share. I have made these with a teaspoon of vanilla (recipe from elsewhere)and recently I used demaris sugar which was really good. Best friend says these are the best cookies I made in the past year!

Sharon G says:

Has anyone tried using Truvia?

Dawn Santiago says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’ve always made peanut butter cookies for the holidays,I’m going to give it a try since it’s so simple can be more productive and less expensive. Aloha Dawn

Robin says:

I have made these for years. I taught my niece this recipe, too. I have made them for a co-worker of my boyfriends and she was so happy to have a gluten free goody in the break room.

Darrell Cole says:

I have been making a PB cookie similar to these for about 8 years. The only difference being I used a tsp of vanilla. they have never stayed on the plate long enough to get stale.

carol says:

Want to try this with chocolate hazelnut spread… would reducing the sugar ruin the texture of the cookies?

Sue says:

Thanks for sharing. Feeling domestic since retirement and these cookies filled the bill. I tried them using Planters Cinnamon Raisin Granola Nut peanut butter and they were a huge hit!

connie says:

I give these as gifts and they are immediately a favorite and they want the recipe. I make a couple of batches and roll into long bar in waxed paper and freeze; thaw slightly and slice and bake.

Ginny says:

I want to try this with dark brown sugar. Has anyone tried that?

[…] Better Recipes: Perfect Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies […]

Martha Nielsen says:

Would substituting light or dark brown sugar work?

Sherryl says:

I’ve been making this recipe for over 20 years. I don’t hash it down with a fork, I add a chocolate star in the middle of the ball. I also baked it at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Melts in your mouth

Kathy T says:

Thank you for printing this recipe. I thought that I dreamed these cookies. My siblings and I would make these cookies when there was nothing sweet to eat in the house. My older sister taught me how to make them. I would make them for my younger brother and for friends too. Lots of children knew how to make them back when I was a child. We wouldn’t measure either. It was just roughly equal parts sugar and peanut butter plus an egg. I have some almond butter in the pantry and I found we don’t care for it so I know I will be using it for cookies. Thank you, :))

toyin says: