Loaded Baked Potato Soup | The Daily Dish

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

6 Comments | Written on January 13, 2012 at 5:00 am , by

Right now I have to admit I am a little bit jealous.  Yesterday and last night my parents house in Illinois finally got the first big snowfall of the season.  They built a fire and my mom is spending the day making big batches of soup and baking.  Now, I know I shouldn’t complain when it is 75 and sunny here in LA.   I never have to shovel snow and salt is used for seasoning, not for icy sidewalks!  But, I do sometimes long for those chilly winter days…especially when it involves wrapping up in a fluffy blanket and cupping a warm bowl of soup.

This recipe couldn’t be easier and it can be customized to your personal tastes.  Everything you love to top a baked potato can be added to this simple soup.  It can be whipped up in minutes with only a few ingredients.  The secret?  Half a package of instant roasted garlic flavored mashed potatoes.  Give it a try this weekend….whether or not you have snow!

LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP  (click here to view and print recipe)

6 bacon strips, chopped

2 cups fat free milk

2 cups water

1/2 (7.6 ounce) package roasted garlic instant mashed potatoes

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Chives

Sour cream

Cook bacon, drain on a paper towel, set aside.  Reserve 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top of soup.

Combine milk and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.  Remove from heat; add potatoes, and stir with a wire whisk until well blended.  Add 3/4 cup cheese, stirring until cheese melts.  Add all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon.   Spoon into serving bowls; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, 2 tablespoons bacon and freshly ground black pepper.  Top with chopped chives and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.

6 Responses to “Loaded Baked Potato Soup”

Patricia Riley says:

Hi Kristina! I am living in central Illinois and yes, we finally got our snow yesterday, only about 3.5 inches. In fact, we’re still having flurries tonight! I decided to post because I just moved back here from living in San Diego for 25 years and I saw that your parents are in Illinois and you’re in L.A. Here’s the funny part – I left Illinois in 1982 because I hated the weather here. And when I retired 5 years ago I came back here because I MISSED the weather – I missed the changing of the seasons, lol! Christmas shopping at the mall in flip flops and capris while Christmas music is blaring always just seemed surreal to me! San Diego may be America’s Finest City but hot and sunny 320 days a year gets old!!! Love your recipes by the way!

Kristina Vanni says:

Hi Patricia! I totally agree…there is something about the change of seasons that helps you mark time. It also makes you appreciate the beautiful days even more! Sometimes I even like the gray and chilly days in LA. (They are few and far between, but they happen!) Thanks so much for stopping by The Daily Dish :)

Martha says:

Sounds great!
    It would be great to have nutrition information!

Pat says:

I like this site for good recipes but I really need the nutritional information to be included and I’m sure there are others who would also like to see that included.

Ethelmae Fox says:

Even here in Florida we get cold weather. Got down to 85* today. Soup time in this house. Cheers emae

Jennifer says:

Just started using your site – LOVE IT! How about a category dedicated to alternative cooking options like on a camp stove, camp fire, on the fireplace hearth or on a free standing wood stove/fireplace? I live in an area where we have frequent power outages and when that happens I end up cooking on a camp stove outside or on the top of the wood burning stove that we have in our living room. The other day I put a pot of beans on the wood stove to let cook all day since I had to have the fire going anyway – they cooked just fine. Another time, I cooked a turkey on the stove after a 7 day power outage defrosted everything in our freezer. Baked potatoes are also great on the stove (bake them up and they can be eaten as-is or turned into potatoe salad or mashed, etc.) Nope I don’t live in the midwest or Alaska — I live in the Sierra Nevada range in California. I have the fireplace going so why not take advantage of it and save starting up the range?