Cracker Barrel Jalapeno Cheese Soup
Merry Christmas…or should I say Feliz Navidad!
This holiday season, serve up some south of the border flair with this recipe for “Jalapeno Cheese Soup.” I love to cozy up to a piping hot bowl of soup on a chilly winter day. This recipe spices things up even more with Cracker Barrel‘s newest cheddar cheese variety with the warm, rich heat of red and green jalapenos.
You can enjoy this recipe any time of year, but during the holidays I like to give the soup a special garnish. Follow the step-by-step instructions below and learn how to make a “Christmas Tree” pepper!
For more great holiday entertaining tips, be sure to visit the Cracker Barrel “Host the Holidays” group. Also, if you love Mexican cuisine, be sure to check out some of the other fantastic groups on our site!
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup diced peeled tomato
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 ounce can chopped green chiles, undrained
6 Tablespoons butter
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups hot milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups coarsely grated Cracker Barrel Jalapeno Cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, place broth, onion, tomato, garlic, and green chiles. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Remove from heat and stir in flour. Return to heat and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 3-1/2 cups of the hot milk, adding 1/2 cup at a time. Cook and stir about 6-7 minutes until smooth and thickened. Remove broth mixture from heat and stir in the milk mixture, about one fourth at a time. Return to heat and add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk, salt, pepper, and cheese, stirring constantly until cheese is melted and soup is well heated. Do not boil.
Serve immediately, or let cool and refrigerate with plastic wrap directly on surface of soup. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat soup over low heat just until hot. Garnish as desired. Serves 8.
How to Make a Pepper “Tree” Garnish:
1) Start with a poblano pepper. The natural shape lends itself well to cutting out a “Christmas Tree” garnish for the soup.
2) Cut off the top and slice in half lengthwise.
3) Use the narrow tip of the pepper as the top of the tree.
4) Cut out small triangles down one side of the pepper.
5) Continue cutting out the same shapes on the other side of the pepper. You should have an adorable “Christmas Tree” shaped pepper garnish when you are done! Before serving soup, gently lay a “Christmas Tree” pepper in each bowl. It is a fun and festive twist for your holiday meal, and your guests will love it!
14 Responses to “Cracker Barrel Jalapeno Cheese Soup”