Old-Fashioned Spice Cake Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting
Imagine coming home to a batch of these beautiful cupcakes!
I have to confess, I did not actually make this decadent dessert. My mom surprised me for my birthday earlier this month with one of my favorite recipes. I have loved this Old-Fashioned Spice Cake for as long as I can remember, but this year she decided to give it a little twist and turn them into cupcakes.
The combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves in the batter is pure heaven. Your kitchen is filled with the aroma of autumn as they bake. It is nearly impossible to resist a taste while they cool!
I walked in the house after running errands and knew right away what she had been baking. It was such a treat to be back home for my birthday this year and have my mom bake something special just for me. No matter how old you get, there is nothing like a homemade goodie from Mom!
Old-Fashioned Spice Cake with Cinnamon Frosting (click here to view and print recipe)
2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. For cupcakes, grease and flour a 12 cup cupcake pan.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices into bowl; set aside.
3. Place butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl. Blend until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Stir in flour, alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in vanilla.
5. Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched, or when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cupcakes will bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Place cake pans on wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes, then turn out of pans and cool completely on racks.
7. Prepare frosting and spread between layers and over cake. For cupcakes, spread frosting on top.
1 box (16 ounces) powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg white
Dash of salt
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Sift powdered sugar and cinnamon into a bowl.
2. Remove 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture and place in a mixer bowl along with the melted butter. Beat until blended. Beat in egg white and salt.
3. Add remaining sugar mixture to bowl, along with the milk and vanilla. Beat at high speed until it is of spreading consistency.
Celebrations and Parties, Sweet Tooth | Tags:
Birthday Cake Recipes, Cake Recipes, Cupcake Recipes, Dessert Recipes, Easy Cake Recipes, Easy Dessert Recipes
13 Comments | Post Your Comment
13 Responses to “Old-Fashioned Spice Cake Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting”