Old-Fashioned Spice Cake Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting | The Daily Dish

Old-Fashioned Spice Cake Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting

13 Comments | Written on September 29, 2011 at 5:00 am , by

Imagine coming home to a batch of these beautiful cupcakes!

I have to confess, I did not actually make this decadent dessert.  My mom surprised me for my birthday earlier this month with one of my favorite recipes.  I have loved this Old-Fashioned Spice Cake for as long as I can remember, but this year she decided to give it a little twist and turn them into cupcakes.

The combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves in the batter is pure heaven.  Your kitchen is filled with the aroma of autumn as they bake.  It is nearly impossible to resist a taste while they cool!

I walked in the house after running errands and knew right away what she had been baking.  It was such a treat to be back home for my birthday this year and have my mom bake something special just for me.  No matter how old you get, there is nothing like a homemade goodie from Mom!

Old-Fashioned Spice Cake with Cinnamon Frosting  (click here to view and print recipe)

Cake:
2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.  For cupcakes, grease and flour a 12 cup cupcake pan.
2.  Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices into bowl; set aside.
3.  Place butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl.  Blend until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4.  Stir in flour, alternating with the buttermilk.  Stir in vanilla.
5.  Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched, or when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cupcakes will bake for 20-25 minutes.
6.  Place cake pans on wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes, then turn out of pans and cool completely on racks.
7.  Prepare frosting and spread between layers and over cake.  For cupcakes, spread frosting on top.

Cinnamon Frosting:
1 box (16 ounces) powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg white
Dash of salt
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Sift powdered sugar and cinnamon into a bowl.
2.  Remove 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture and place in a mixer bowl along with the melted butter.  Beat until blended.  Beat in egg white and salt.
3.  Add remaining sugar mixture to bowl, along with the milk and vanilla.  Beat at high speed until it is of spreading consistency.

13 Responses to “Old-Fashioned Spice Cake Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting”

Its like you learn my mind! You appear to understand a lot approximately this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I believe that you can do with a few p.c. to drive the message house a little bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

Pat Serio says:

The article has the word *cupcakes* but the recipe makes a cake. I am aware that layer cakes and cupcakes need different baking times – some times the baking temperature changes, too. Do you have the tip to turn this recipe into cupcakes? Thanks.

Kristina Vanni says:

Hi Pat! You’re right! This was originally a cake recipe that I turned into cupcakes. When I uploaded it, I totally forgot to change it! I would bake them for about 15 minutes and then test for doneness. Thanks for catching!

• Bobbeddybobbob says:

bob is aways right and Bob says that these are the best cupcakes bob has ever had. bob has had a lot of cupcakes in bob’s life. Bob is very fat because of it. Bob likes to refer to himself in the third person. go bob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobbedybobbob says:

chalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalLALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA.!!!!!!!!!!i’M always right and i say that this is a great recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobeddybob says:

Bob is always right and Bob says that these are the best cupcackes bob has ever had. Bob has had a lot of cupcakes in bob’s life. Bob is fat because of that. Bob also always refers to Bobself in the third person.

Marshall says:

How much Shortening? 1/2 cup?

Diane says:

When you say shortening, are you referring to the butter?

[...] recipe is courtesy of Kristina Vanni at Better Recipes. The recipe is adapted from her Old Fashioned Spice Cake with Cinnamon Frosting.  If you read the post, you’ll see that it’s actually Kristina’s mother’s [...]

Jody says:

I’m really excited to try this recipe but slightly concerned at there being a raw egg white in the frosting; is that really correct?

• Kristina Vanni says:

If you are concerned, look for Safest Choice eggs. They are pasteurized in the shell and safe to enjoy in raw preparations.

Heather says:

In this recipe, you call for 1/2 cup butter. In step three, you say shortening. Do I use shortening or butter? thanks