Asparagus Leek Soup
Last month, when I attended the International Home and Housewares Show, one of my favorite discoveries was the Cuisinart Soup Maker and Blender. In this one handy appliance you can saute, cook and blend homemade soup! I simply had to try it and my first recipe attempt was ideal for our theme this week: Asparagus and Leek Soup. This is the perfect soup to celebrate the start of spring!
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 garlic clove
1 medium to large leek, white and light green parts only, washed well and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound asparagus (about 1 small bunch), rough ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons cognac or dry white wine
1 small red potato (about 2 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Put the butter into the blender jar; set timer for 15 minutes and temperature on Medium. Once butter begins to melt, add the garlic and leek. Cover and stir about 8 times using quick bursts. Continue to saute, stirring occassionally. Should any leek cling to the sides of the jar after stirring, scrape down with a heatproof spatula.
2. Once there are 5 minutes of time remaining, add the asparagus and toss with a spatula to coat with the leeks and butter. Add the cognac or wine once there are 3 minutes remaining.
3. Once time expires, add the broth, potato, salt and pepper to the blender jar. Cover and set time to 10 minutes on High.
4. Once the time expires or when liquid come to a boil, set timer for 20 minutes and temperature on Medium, stirring occasionally during the cooking process.
5. Once time expires, add the lemon juice and blend starting with speed 1 gradually raising to speed 2, until completely smooth and homogeneous, about 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Nutritional information per 1 cup serving: Calories 97, carbohydrates 11 g., protein 4 g., fat 3 g., sat. fat 2 g., cholesterol 8 mg., sodium 614 mg., calcium 51 mg., fiber 3 g
The unit can be used to cook and blend hot soups or it can function as a traditional blender as well. Double duty!
Another great feature is the measuring cup built into the lid.
All of the soup ingredients go into the blender and cook.
Whirl it all together and you have a perfect soup! It is a quick and healthy meal in minutes. What a fun new appliance!
Better Recipes, Dinner Tonight, Fast and Fabulous, Fresh and Healthy, On A Budget | Tags: Easy Recipes, Easy Soup Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Low-Fat Recipes, Soup Recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes, Vegetarian Soup Recipes
1 Comment | Post Your Comment
One Response to “Asparagus Leek Soup”