TGIF: Grilled Flatbread Pizza
TGIF! So far during this summer series, we have grilled up chicken, steaks and veggies but now it is time for something uniquely different. We are going to grill a pizza! It is not only the perfect quick and easy summer meal, but it is also great for entertaining. Why wait half an hour for delivery? These pizzas can be grilled up in minutes!
I never get tired of making these flatbread pizzas because they are always such a huge hit. You can use any of your favorite toppings, as desired, or have toppings ready for guests to add their own. Just be sure to always have all ingredients prepared before you start. Flatbreads cook fast, but exact cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of your crust and the heat of your fire. They are usually done when they have become puffy and browned on both sides.
6 balls frozen white dinner roll dough (from a 3-pound package)*
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/2 cup cubed (1/4-inch) fontina cheese
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes- slivered
1/3 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
1. Remove 6 frozen balls of dinner rolls from package and thaw according to package directions, to make individual flatbreads. Keep remainder frozen for later use.( * You can also use the whole loaf of frozen, thawed dough to form into larger flatbreads, if desired).
2. Using your hands, press and pull the thawed dough into 4-inch rounds. Brush both sides of dough liberally with some of the olive oil, saving rest for grilling. Place prepared dough rounds on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour. Meanwhile, have all other ingredients prepared and ready to go before grilling. The dough cooks very quickly, so everything must be ready and at hand.
3. Prepare outdoor grill for indirect heating. Place rounds of dough on grill rack, not directly over very hot area of heat. Grill for about 1 minute, watching carefully, until dough is nicely browned on the bottom and starts to look puffy.
4. Turn bread over with tongs, and working very quickly, brush each with some remaining olive oil, then sprinkle each with the salt and pepper. Scatter cubed fontina evenly over each round. Grill another minute or so, watching carefully, until bread is nicely browned and cheese starts to melt.
5. Remove bread from grill and place on serving platter. Place sun-dried tomatoes evenly over each piece, then sprinkle each with fresh basil and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Check out our previous “Think Grilling It’s Friday” blog entries:
Around the World, Better Recipes, Dinner Tonight, Fast and Fabulous, Fresh and Healthy | Tags: Bread Recipes, Easy Pizza Recipes, Easy Recipes, Grilled Recipes, Healthy Bread Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Italian Bread Recipes, Italian Dinner Recipes, Italian Recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Recipes, Vegetarian Recipes
3 Comments | Post Your Comment
3 Responses to “TGIF: Grilled Flatbread Pizza”